National Art Museum
Statens Museum for Kunst (English: National Art Museum) is the Danish national gallery located in Sølvgade not far from Hotel Christian IV.
The museum collects, registers, maintains, researches in and handles Danish and foreign art dating from the 14th Century till the present day, mostly with their origins in western culture circles. As far as the Danish art is concerned the museum must invest in and maintain representative collections.
The museum was designed by Vilhelm Dahlerup and G.E.W. Møller and built 1889-96 in a Historicist Italian Renaissance revival style.
In autumn 1998, an extension was opened designed by the architects Anna Maria Indrio and Mads Møller from Arkitektfirmaet C. F. Møller. This new building was constructed in the park behind the original building and is connected to it by a glass-covered walkway, 'the street of sculptures'. The 'street' stretches along the full length of the museum, and within it concerts and dance performances are held.
The old and new buildings are connected by one large-scale amalgamation between past and present. Facing the front is the old building and from Østre Anlæg is a new and modern building - seen from the side is a glass-covered street that connects the old and new buildings.
Photo: Morten Bjarnhof